I’m so excited to share with you all some of my DIY beauty product recipes that I’ve been making at home. Since finding out about celiac’s disease and going gluten free in July (read the blog post here), I have had the hardest time finding beauty products that are (1) made from 100% gluten free products, (2) produced in a facility that is also 100% gluten free, and (3) does not use fragrance other than 100% pure grade essential oils. Who knew it would be so difficult?!
I feel SUPER fortunate to have a friend who cared enough about my healthy journey to reach out to me and share the millions of health benefits there are with using essential oils in your daily activities. I had been using Young Living oils since 2013, but never knew I could cook with them, put them directly on my skin, or add them to make my own beauty products, cleaning products, etc. To learn more about why I love Young Living essential oils, read the blog post here.
I’ve been DIY’ing with essential oils for a couple months now that I wanted to share how fun it is to make your own products with my Galentines! Click here to read about the Galentines Party I threw for my gal pals. One of the products we made was a Sugar Scrub made with all gluten free, fragrance free and natural ingredients. Plus, everyone was able to customize their Sugar Scrub based on the scent them chose. Above are all of the products that we used. You can click here for my full Amazon shopping list of all my essential oils supplies (these items included). We used:
- Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- Viva Naturals Organic Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil
- Suncore Foods Pink Pitaya Supercolor Powder (all natural food coloring)
- 4 ounce Mason Jars with Personalized Stickers from Esty
- Young Living Essential Oils (click here, oilwith.me/tfk to purchase a starter kit!)
Feel free to save the files below and print out these fliers to host your own Galentines Day party with a DIY Essential Oils Sugar Scrub!
Using the recipe above, you can really use any essential oil that you want, but for our Galentines Party I had six oils available for my gal pals to use and they could mix and match between different scents too. I believe we had some people make a mixture of lavender-lemon, peppermint-lavender, eucalyptus-lavender, lavender-grapefruit, and tangerine-grapefruit. I made mine with only grapefruit and the scent is very faint against the coconut oil. It seems as though the lavender, eucalyptus and peppermint did the best in terms of standing out against the coconut scent. However, they all had a very strong coconut scent. My husband hates the smell of coconut, but he used it the other day and didn’t seem to mind! The recipe calls for at least 5 drops of essential oils to get the benefits from the essential oils, but I went all the way up to 15 drops and still can barely smell the grapefruit scent. Here are the benefits of each oil broken out:
- Eucalyptus – focuses the mind + boosts your mood.
- Grapefruit – energizing oil, good against cellulite, dull skin, toxin build-up + water retention.
- Lavender – heals burns + scars, great against; acne, anxiety, asthma, chicken pox, colic, + depression.
- Lemon – anti-bacterial + a good disinfectant.
- Peppermint – relieves muscle pain, headaches + soothes inflamed skin.
- Tangerine – creates a happy, contented mindset.